If I Knew Then…
Advice on careers, finance, and life from Harvard Business School’s Class of 1963
Each month, JobsPeopleDo will be featuring a special quote from a graduate of the Harvard Business School Class of 1963. The following quotes are insightful and can be used to inspire and encourage the right career path for you…
Steps to find fulfilling work:
- Take the initiative to investigate the places you think are of interest. Ask good questions.
- Go with the self-assurance of having written on an index card each of your past accomplishments (including where you simply helped other people do their thing) in three forms:
- A simple phrase; e.g., “top salesman in New York office for three years”
- A three-sentence statement of the problem, your solution, and the result
- A one-page explanation or anecdote to share if asked to give details
- Use those cards deftly to encourage people to talk to you — showing you listen on their level and understand whatever they tell you. Remember: The more they talk, the smarter they’ll think you are.
~ Ron Leslie ~