March Break Activities to Do in Alberta
If you are a student in post-secondary, you are probably more than ready for a well-deserved break by the time March break rolls around. However, luxury vacations in exotic places may not always be an option, especially for students. So, what March break activities are available for Alberta students without having to venture past the province’s boundaries? Here is a guide for some fun and unique March break activities to do in Alberta.
Visit the Rocky Mountains.
Skiers and snowboarders from all around the globe travel great lengths to visit the beautiful Alberta Rocky Mountains. Luckily, you have the luxury of visiting some of the world’s best exhilarating slopes right in your own province. Experience some of the most breathtaking natural wonders Alberta has to offer, all while getting some fresh air and having a great time. Skiing and snowboarding not really your style? Not a problem! From soaking up Banff’s year round natural hot springs, visiting local shops, or adventuring on a hike, the Rocky Mountains offer an activity for everyone’s preference. Visit the websites below for more information on activities in Banff, Jasper, Canmore and Lake Louise.
Take a museum, art gallery or conservatory tour in some of Alberta’s major cities.
If you’re interested in staying indoors this March break, why not add a little bit of art and history into your break. Take a trip to one of Alberta’s major cities and visit some of the art galleries, museums and conservatories they have to offer. (Please note, not all galleries in each city are listed. For a complete list, visit each individual city official website)
- The Telus World of Science http://telusworldofscienceedmonton.com
- The Muttart Conservatory https://www.edmonton.ca
- Art Gallery of Alberta http://www.youraga.ca
- Alberta Aviation Museum https://www.albertaaviationmuseum.com
- Canada’s Sport’s Hall of Fame https://www.sportshall.ca
- Studio Bell, home of the National Music Centre https://nmc.ca/exhibitions/
- The Hanger Flight Museum http://www.thehangarmuseum.ca
- The Military Museums https://themilitarymuseums.ca
- Glenbow Museum http://www.glenbow.org/visiting/
- The Jasper Planetarium http://jasperplanetarium.com
- Fossil World Discovery Centre Museum (opening March 23rd, 2017) http://www.fossilworld.com
- Royal Tyrrell Museum http://tyrrellmuseum.com/index.htm
Grand Prairie http://www.cityofgp.com
- Grant Berg Gallery http://www.grantberggallery.com
Medicine Hat http://www.medicinehat.ca
- Medalta http://medalta.org
Shop, Swim, Swing and Stay at North America’s largest shopping mall; West Edmonton Mall.
Looking to hit an indoor beach this March break? Is the idea of riding the world’s largest indoor roller coaster is your idea of the perfect holiday? Maybe shopping at over 800 stores has peaked your interest. If so, take a trip down to Alberta’s capital city and visit West Edmonton Mall! Is Edmonton too far for just a day trip? Not to worry, West Edmonton Mall is home to the Fantasy Land Hotel; a hotel built right inside the mall so you can stay as long as you need.
Visit one of Calgary’s largest attractions; CrossIron Mills.
Looking to get some shopping done at outlet store prices? Calgary’s CrossIron Mills Outlet Mall is home to 100 outlets and 200 stores. Looking to save big bucks? If you’re visiting from out of town, CrossIron Mills can help make that happen. Ask the mall’s guest services desk about their savings booklet program. This little booklet offers savings to those with a mailing address at least 60 km outside of Calgary. (Picture ID required)
Decided on a trip to Edmonton or Calgary? Stay and watch a hockey game.
Love hockey? Want to cheer on one of Alberta’s NHL teams in person? Watch the Oilers in action at the newly built Rogers Place arena in Edmonton, or catch the Flames at the Scotiabank Saddledome in Calgary.
Feeling Adventurous? Try…
- Ice climbing! Located in Canmore and the Canadian Rockies, programs range from beginner to expert level climbing. Depending on temperature and avalanche conditions, this exciting activity runs up until early April. For more information, visit the link below. https://yamnuska.com/ice-climbing
- Walk Through an Ice Castle! Located in Edmonton, take a magical tour through this beautiful castle made of ice. https://yamnuska.com/ice-climbing
Search by category for all the unique experiences Alberta has to offer on the travel Alberta website. https://www.travelalberta.com
Leave a comment!