Alternative Medicine Careers
Alternative medicine is a medical treatment that could be used instead of the common treatment you would receive at a hospital or walk-in clinic. Most seek the care of medical doctors and other health professionals, such as nurses and physical therapists. If one is using alternative medicine along with traditional medicine, it is recommended for patients to tell their medical doctor about any alternative medicine they may be using, in case they interfere with one another.
Here are a few common types of alternative medicine:
Acupuncture is an ancient Chinese practice in which very thin needles are inserted into specific parts of the body. It is believed that energy flows through the needles into specific areas and will help relieve any pain and discomfort. This helps the energy in your body flow again. Acupuncture can be used to treat neck and back pain, nausea, anxiety, depression, insomnia, infertility, and other conditions.
- An acupuncture treatment usually causes no side effects.
- As with any medical treatment, not everyone will have an improvement in their symptoms after acupuncture.
Chiropractors treat conditions involving the skeleton. Chiropractors use hands-on manipulation to adjust the skeleton. In other words, they crack their client’s joints to relieve pain or discomfort or realign the muscles, joints, bones, cartilage, ligaments, and tendons. Chiropractic care can be used to treat neck and back pain, and headaches.
- Since no surgery or complicated medical procedure is required, it is usually safe and non-invasive.
- Chiropractic care can be more time consuming than other medical care, such as a one-time surgery.
- If you do not receive treatment from a certified practitioner with a lot of experience, you can risk possible joint displacement or nerve damage ( rare).
Homeopaths treat their patients by using natural herbs and other remedies. They believe that what can hurt a healthy person, can heal a sick person. For example, if one has joint problems, a natural remedy known to cause joint problems in healthy people will be diluted by adding water or alcohol and then given to them. It is believed that the body can cure itself. Homeopathy can be used to treat allergies, migraines, depression, irritable bowel syndrome, toothaches, and colds.
- There are no symptoms of withdrawal, as when consuming known or common medicines.
- It is not certain that homeopathy can benefit everyone equally. There is no scientific evidence that it works at all.
Massages can be very relaxing and are one of the most common types of alternative medicine. Massages involve pressing, rubbing, or manipulating muscles and other soft tissues. It can be done with one’s hands and fingers. Even forearms, elbows, or feet can be used. There are several types of massages including a Swedish massage, deep tissue massages, hot stone massages, a Thai massage, and chair massages. Massage therapy can be used to treat back pain, osteoporosis, headaches, and depression.
- Treats specific conditions or disease.
- In rare circumstances, massage can cause internal bleeding, nerve damage, temporary paralysis, or allergic reactions to massage oils or lotions.