Trying New Things
Trying new things can bring up a variety of emotions like fear, anxiety, frustration, excitement and pride. It involves taking a risk, but that risk might be very rewarding. It’s often hard to remember but everything you know how to do was once new. You had to learn to walk, talk, read, ride a bike, use a computer etc. all of your favorite foods were once new, too. Branching out and trying new things can have a number of benefits:
1. You might learn new skills that will be useful in the future. Think about how participating in sports has taught you teamwork, patience and hand-eye coordination. Or how playing video games has honed your computer skills and problem solving techniques. New activities will lead to new skills you can put to good use in other aspects of your life.
2. Successfully conquering something new can give you a sense of pride and accomplishment. Even though it may seem difficult at first, it can be very rewarding. It can help improve self-esteem and self-confidence.
3. Trying new things might help alleviate boredom. It’s easy to get stuck in a rut and do the same things day after day. But it can be fun to mix things up once and awhile and try something you’ve never done.
4. You might find something new you really enjoy like a new favorite food, sport, hobby or song.
5. You might discover a future career path or interest you might like to study and learn more about. Trying new things can lead to discovering hidden talents you never knew you had.
6. When you try new things you will inevitably grow as a person. Growth helps you adopt new ways of thinking and seeing the world.
7. Learning new skills can be fun. Remember back to when you learned to ride a bike, or a skateboard or play your favorite video game it was probably exciting and exhilarating to succeed and improve.
8. Trying new activities can help you meet new people and might lead to new friendships. People participating in the same activities as you will probably share similar interests as you.
Although routine is important in many ways (it can help you become more disciplined, accountable and reliable). Too much routine can sometimes lead to boredom or a mundane feeling about your daily activities. The best way to alleviate these feelings is to try something new. Think of it as an adventure. If you are really afraid or nervous to try something talk with someone about your apprehensions. Not doing something you really want to do out of fear of the unknown may lead you to regret your decision in the future. It might help to voice your concerns out loud. Try not to let your fear control you. Trying new things makes life much more interesting and enjoyable.
Leave a comment!